We want the Jurassic Coast website to be accessible to all so we have built the site to conform to Priority 2 of the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. We wish to exceed these guidelines wherever we can and operate on a basic of continuous improvement. Our website has been designed with the following accessibility guidelines in mind:
- Pages are designed so that they can be viewed at a screen resolution of 800 x 600 pixels. Optimal viewing is at 1024 x 768.
- Page structure is conveyed using header elements to assist screen readers
- A stylesheet is used on our website and relative font sizes on all text with the exception of graphical text. Where graphical text is used it is supported by descriptive tags which are accessible to screen readers.
- Text can be increased or decreased in size by using the "view" option in your browser or by holding down the CTRL key and using the central scroll wheel on your mouse (PCs only)
- Images have alternative text.
- We have avoided conveying information solely by the use of colour.
- A site map is available to provide information about the layout of the website.
This site implements the UK Government recommendations for Access Keys.
1 - Home page
2 - Jurassic News
3 - Site map
4 - Search
5 - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
6 - Help (directs users to the FAQ page)
7 - Contact Us
8 - Terms and conditions
9 - Feedback form
0 - Access key details ( shows this page )
S - Skips main navigation menus ( for text browser users )
Access Key Usage
* For Microsoft Internet Explorer users. Press the ALT key (Control key on Mac) and the shortcut key simultaneously, then release both keys and press ENTER
* For Netscape, Mozilla (Firefox) and Safari users. Press the ALT key (Control key on Mac) and the shortcut key simultaneously
* For Opera users. Press the Shift and ESC keys simultaneously, then release both keys and immediately press the shortcut key
* Text browser users can use the 'S' access key to skip the navigation menus and go straight to the page content
Support for access keys can vary with the operating system and browser version you are using.
Downloading Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) documents
The supported browser versions are:
- Internet Explorer 5.5+ - 6.x
- Mozilla Firefox 1.5+
- Safari 1.3+
- Opera 8.x+
The site has been created using eXtensible HyperText Markup Language) XHTML and CSS so should degrade gracefully in older browsers.
- Learn more about web accessibility at http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/.
- Obtain a copy of the screen reader JAWS
- W3 accessibility guidelines, which explains the reasons behind each guideline.
- W3 accessibility techniques, which explains how to implement each guideline.
- W3 accessibility checklist, a busy developer's guide to accessibility.
- JAWS, a screen reader for Windows. A time-limited, downloadable demo is available.
- Opera, a visual browser with many accessibility-related features, including text zooming, user stylesheets, image toggle. A free downloadable version is available. Compatible with Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and several other operating systems.
Get in touch with the Jurassic Coast Team.
If you have difficulty accessing the site or have any comments or feedback, please do not hesitate to get in touch.