Become an Ambassador for the Jurassic Coast
Do you have a commitment to the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site and your local area, and do you want to help make a difference? We would like people who can be just what the title implies; Ambassadors for the World Heritage Site on their doorstep.
Why does the Jurassic Coast need Ambassadors? Under the terms of the World Heritage Convention, United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) require that World Heritage Sites become a "function in the life of the community". In other words, World Heritage Sites must have meaning to the people who live and work around them.
Since well before 2001, many people have been giving up their time to undertake a variety of roles to help the Jurassic Coast, including giving talks, walks, volunteering at events, picking up beach litter, and so on. The contribution that these individuals have made has been outstanding.
As part of our 'Growing the Jurassic Coast Community' project, we would like to formally acknowledge the efforts of these individuals by recognising them as Ambassadors for the Jurassic Coast. In addition, we would like to recruit new Ambassadors to develop their own projects in a variety of areas and locations, as well as assisting on existing projects.
In very general terms we are looking for people who care about the Jurassic Coast, are prepared to be an advocate for it as part of their everyday lives, and can be active in the role.
The time commitment for this will be as much or little as each individual is able to give, and there is no 'one-size-fits-all' package. Anyone wanting to be an Ambassador might undertake any one or more of a range of roles, such as:
- Help out at events to promote and raise awareness of the Jurassic Coast WHS
- Talk to businesses about the benefits of the Jurassic Coast
- Promote the Jurassic Coast to Tourists
- Act as expert guides for walks
- Give talks about their specialist area of knowledge
- Recruit Friends of the Jurassic Coast
- Write articles for local newsletters and magazines
- Support and volunteer for local Jurassic Coast Visitor Centres
- Help organise beach-cleans or other conservation activities
We would also like our Ambassadors to develop their own projects, increasing public engagement with the coast through their particular area of interest. These could include:
- Arts projects
- Online and mobile content
- Practical coastal maintenance and monitoring
- School visits and community outreach
- Sports events
- Sustainable tourism
- Volunteer recruitment and management
Got a great idea about how to promote the coast?