Work Experience and Internships
The Jurassic Coast Team is keen to encourage young people to get involved in the conservation and interpretation of the World Heritage Site through work experience and internships. Although we are unable to accommodate students in our own organisation (we are a small office based team), we can recommend businesses and partners that we work with who would value your help as a volunteer. If you’re self-motivated and have an interest in geology, the natural environment or heritage conservation we’d love to hear from you.
‘On my work experience I went up to Sidmouth beach with some geologists. As in the future I want to be a geologist it was fascinating to hear about the different types of rocks and how they came to be where they are. I was amazed by some of the fossils we found. It was a fantastic week and I couldn’t have asked for a better work experience.’
Nyassa, Year 10, Okehampton College
Previous students working with the Jurassic Coast Team have:
- Helped to design educational resources
- Assisted team members with delivering activities at public events
- Helped conduct visitor research to measure the impact of tourism on the Jurassic Coast
- Worked on conservation projects with partner organisations such as Durlston Country Park and Charmouth Heritage Coast Centre
- Written blogs and social media posts
- Worked with video content to analyse public engagement with the Jurassic Coast
- Helped with sourcing images and proof reading for web and printed material
A work experience placement can also lead to further opportunities and achievements. A recent work experience student won the UK Young Scientist of the Year Award, based on his original research with the Jurassic Coast Team and Bournemouth University. His research was based on the use of high precision GPS to map the erosion of the ammonite pavement at Monmouth Beach near Lyme Regis. The placement was funded by the Nuffield Foundation as part of a national programme to encourage more young people into scientific careers.
If you are interested in pursuing a placement with the Jurassic Coast Team, please contact Anjana Ford the Programme Manager for Learning. Please provide a statement outlining what you would like to achieve, and what you could offer to a potential museum, visitor centre or business on the Jurassic Coast.