- The megalosaur was a huge meat-eating dinosaur that lived about 180 million years ago.
- It walked on two powerful legs, with three-toed feet – as you can see on this footprint.
- Many trackways have been found, created when dinosaurs made prints in muddy ground by lakes and swamps.
- The megalosaur is thought to have been one of the most intelligent dinosaurs.
- It was a fierce meat-eater, equipped with large, sharp, serrated teeth.
- If that wasn’t bad enough, it had three razor-like claws on each hand for gripping and ripping at prey. It was a perfect killing machine, even attacking the huge plant-eating sauropods.
- Amazingly, the megalosaur was the first dinosaur ever discovered – in England in 1676. But it wasn’t until 150 years later that it was given its name which means ‘great lizard’.
- See the awesome megalosaur footprints at Dorset County Museum.
View this entry in the database