Big Jurassic Classroom: Schools Outreach Programme
The Big Jurassic Classroom is proud to partner with the Wide Horizons Townsend Centre in Swanage to deliver an inspirational and engaging schools outreach programme. Both organisations share an ambition to educate and inspire all, especially young people, and have been working in partnership to create a new type of learning experience that will engage a younger generation with the Jurassic Coast, England’s only natural World Heritage Site.
Based in Swanage at the eastern end of the Jurassic Coast, the Townsend Centre is a field studies centre operated by Wide Horizons, a charity that champions adventure and outdoor learning as a way to support learning and development in children and young people. Wide Horizons delivers a range of activities for all age groups of school children, from day centre nature experiences for primary school children, to adventurous activities for older children and young people. Many of these are linked to curriculum topics and can be adapted to suit learning objectives and goals.
The Townsend Centre works with groups from Early Years Foundation Stage all the way through to Higher Education, including special schools. Their extensive residential offer includes education packages that are cross curricular in approach:
- Science: mini-beasts, pond/river dipping, habitats, rock pooling, salt marshes, micro-climates, forensics.
- Geography: coasts, rivers, contrasting localities, geomorphology, rebranding.
- Art: paper making, pottery, environmental art.
- PE: orienteering, route finding.
- History: Victorians, WWII, mine exploration.
- D&T: shelter building, survival skills.
- Adventure: kayaking, archery, ropes courses, mountain biking, abseiling and camping.
Through our special partnership with the Townsend Centre, school groups in the South and South West region can also opt for an Outdoor Education Instructor to come out and deliver Jurassic Coast learning sessions in their school. These sessions generally cover:
- Fossils of the Jurassic Coast
- Dinosaurs of the South coast
- Rocks and their stories
In our Big Jurassic Classroom workshops, children will meet our experienced Palaeontologist and be able to handle real fossils and take part in investigative science based activities. Our school workshops are priced upon request and can be directly booked with the Townsend Centre on 01929 422448 or firstname.lastname@example.org