Volunteers will get to sample many different aspects of working in the beautiful historic environment of the Town Mill as part of a friendly and dedicated team. The person in this role needs to be flexible, friendly and approachable. It is mainly a customer-facing role and would suit someone interested in working with the public, especially in the tourism industry or someone interested in the maintenance of a historic building.
Click the button below and we'll send your details to the right person.
This ancient watermill, set in the artisan quarter of Lyme Regis, was rescued from dereliction by local volunteers, through a ten-year restoration project. Today, the story of The Town Mill is recounted by volunteer millers and history guides, who mill stoneground wholemeal flour every day, and keep this special place open for everyone to enjoy. Nestling around a cobbled courtyard, these restored mill buildings house a working flour watermill, as well as art galleries, artists’ studios, a café, a silversmith, a seamstress, a pottery, a bakery & deli, a design agency and a micro-brewery.
The roaming volunteer will ensure a warm welcome to all visitors and encourage them to make the most of their visit to The Town Mill.
- Providing a warm, friendly welcome to all visitors answering any questions and encouraging people to get involved in the events/activities.
- Engage with visitors on the mill history
- Provide information to visitors on what activities the mill can offer, such as kids activities and leaflet trails
- Option to learn how to mill flour and be part of the milling team.
- Option to join engineering group if volunteer has the right skills, to assist with maintenance
Person Profile Required
- interest in customer service
- ability to work and communicate effectively
- warm and friendly manner
- well-presented and polite
- ability to own and follow-through on projects required and issues raised
- excellent organisational and time management skills